30 April 2011

Linked In first interview/review

This week, I had a student ask me for help with an application for an internship with Under Armour (UA). I know this company offers a great internship experience, but I was surprised by their initial way of screening candidates.

First, we had to access the internship via Facebook. When we click the button marked Apply, there is a request for permission for UA to access My Basic Information and Access My Profile Information on Facebook. This immediately allows them to check a person out based upon Facebook content. There is nothing that says how long they want to have access, so I would assume it is until you remove them from it. 


Then, they wanted a link to a Linked In resume, which is essentially the Linked In account. The information posted about you (e.g., education, experience) is considered the resume for them. 

Third, UA's call for the internship specified that, in 140 characters or less, prospective applicants need to tell UA personnel why they should be chosen for the internship. I suggest in situations like this that you count spaces as characters to stay under the limit.

This is a different way to go about gathering information prior to an interview, but it does raise important issues for students. Namely, the information you store in social media accounts as well as the types of postings, comments, and other types of news and information you share.

No comments:

Post a Comment