22 September 2011

A View from the Industry

I contacted a recent graduate, Andrew Rubenstein, and asked him to write a short summary of his life after graduation (please see below). Andrew interned with and now works for the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League. I hope his story helps you to write yours. MEP

****
The Andrew Rubenstein Story


I could not have been more excited when I landed my first job after college with the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League. I was an intern with the team in December 2010, and about half way through the internship I was hired on full time to start in June of this year after graduation. I could not have been prepared better for my position than I was by Ohio University, and I have heard the same thing from others entering the sports industry. Many people have no idea what to expect entering their first sales job in sports. I knew right away that it would come with long hours, low pay, and a continuous grind that sometimes seems like it will never end. 

That being said, I could not be happier with the industry that I chose. I found that working with a team that is not in one of the four major sports leagues has many advantages. I not only am making calls for new season ticket holders, but I am also involved with groups, premium seats, sponsorships, marketing ideas, theme nights, and much more. I also am able to work in a very young office where our GM is only 29 years old, and is willing to listen to any ideas or concerns we may have. One disadvantage is that I do not necessarily receive the training that some of the larger teams get. It is more of a trial by fire atmosphere where you need to learn quick in order to be successful, but it showed me very quickly what will work and what will not. 

            Another aspect of the industry that amazed me was the network that Ohio University has. I know multiple people working with teams like the Cavaliers, Browns, and New Jersey Devils, and have found how we are all going through the same ups and downs as we start are careers. It definitely helps talking with those who are going through what we are right now, and those who have moved into more established roles within their teams. As hard as work, I know it will pay off down the road. Some of the most fulfilling moments I have had so far have been from people who I have sold tickets to writing me e-mails, and calling and thanking me for what I have done for them. The best advice I have for someone starting out is to keep your head down, and keep on plugging away. The hard work will get noticed, and will pay off.      

No comments:

Post a Comment